Subject: [Leica] Re: Darkroom to digital
From: Andrew Nemeth <azn@nemeng.com>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 99 19:04:53 +1000

>Darkroom to digital

Lost my wet-darkroom in 1993 when I moved house.  Rather than
spend the $K's building a new one, took the plunge and instead
have been digital since then.

Kodak PJ100 film in Leica R into Polaroid SprintScan35 into
PowerPC Adobe Photoshop.

Doug Herr <Telyt@compuserve.com> added:

>The degree of fine-tuning possible with Photoshop is phenomenal: color
>balance, density, contrast

And how!  I first noticed the 'Leica Difference' because of side
by side scans I did of film shot through one of my Nikons and
(believe it or not) a Leica Mini Zoom.  You could immediately
see the difference in contrast and flare and bokeh and all the
other goodies we wax so lyrical about.  And this was with a
'cheapo' P&S!

>No problems with the enlarger getting bumped, or a train rolling by
>20 yards away

You can also breathe natural air.
(A Day In The Dank Room = Cough, Gag, Choke...)

- ---

All my work ends up being viewed on computers.  Either on client's
www sites or multi-media CD-ROMs, or else my own www site.  Haven't
done a print in years & don't miss it all.

Mind you, *do* miss processing my own film.  All my C41 negs are
done in a lab and sometimes they are really careless with thumb
prints and scratches.  This never happened with *my* B&W film!

So, any reasonable home-C41 kits on the market?...

Andrew Nemeth
nemeng.com