Subject: [Leica] Re: Leica Users digest V10 #60
From: Gerry Walden <gerrywalden@cwcom.net>
Date: Tue, 03 Aug 1999 07:47:22 +0100

> From: "Simon Pulman-Jones"
> Subject: [Leica] 35 Summicron looseness of barrel problem
>
> The front element and aperture ring of my late non-asph. 35 Summicron have a
> small but noticeable amount of looseness which means that they can be moved
> a little off the lens axis. I can't be certain that this has got worse
> recently or has always been this way - I can't say I've noticed any
> difference in the performance of the lens, but I'm worried that the
> looseness is going to get worse. I have never noticed this on any other
> Leica lens. Has anybody else noticed this with their 7-element 35 Summicron?
> Any experiences of getting the problem sorted? - there are no visible screws
> that might be tightened.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Simon.

I had the self same problem shortly after purchasing my 35mm lens from a Leica dealer
secondhand (but pretty new).   I returned it to them and they told me it can happen
sometimes - evidently a collar around the lens assembly can work loose.   They
tightened it up for me and it has been fine ever since.

Gerry (UK)