Subject: Re:[Leica] A most daring proposition.
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 02:35:09 -0400

BIG SNIP
> I dare you to find any other 35mm manufacturer that builds
>cameras and lenses as well as Leica. This whole subject is a little
weird...

It is weird.  It seems that a large number of Leica Users have some sort of
way to search for cons in what their definition of Leica is, or what
conditions serve as an imperative that are necessary to facilitate an
appreciation.  Everyone has made comments and this is of course fine.  I
don't think it's a question of who knows what.  We should hope that Leica
users are not wasting money.  What sort of reputation does Leica have?  Well
clearly from the inside it's not a question(??). But what do photographers
in general think about Leica?  The list is extensive and the bulk of it is
negative (with the inevitable respect for the RF in most cases).  Leica is
small enough that it doesn't need it's own users feeding the big ones and
their 'well spent money'.  As was posted, Leica Solms is a different animal
and moreover -  a brave one at that.  The exponential pressures of advances
place a big decision on what Leica does with this - what can be extrapolated
and at the same time kept within perhaps fluid although apparent borders.
Leica is clearly, as can be seen with good eyes and particularly through
those who are taking on the finer details, employing what they can to
enhance their capabilities and keep their head above the water.  It is
unfortunate that so many are quick to take the role of 'devil's advocate' -
against Leica even if when push comes to shove they are left alone with
their Leica gear.  This is not an all embracing approach - it's putting your
mouth where your money is, at the very least...