Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Tue, 3 Aug 1999 00:25:10 -0400

SNIP
>In the end, whether we're talking cameras or computers, what matters
>most is not where the parts are sourced, or who owns the factory, but
>rather, how well the company whose name is stamped on the product
>sweated out the details, and how high they set their standards. I'm very
>happy with my newish Leica gear, thank you very much. Yeah, Walt's
>probably right about someone needing to do final tuning on the M6
>bodies, but still!

right - but how come Leica can say on their lenses "Lens Made in Germany"?
Nike, for example, their watches, clothes - they must say "Hong Kong" on the
rubber band, and then "Stainless steel China" sometimes then even adding
"assembled in...Marin County" or the like?  Wasn't there a conference
detailing whether a "Swiss Made" can reside on the face of the watch, or the
band or just "Swiss Movement".  Or a Swiss Watch must indicate Mov't Japan?
But then this is a tough comparison.  If this were to happen in (not Swiss -
but... German) fine lens 'making' I'd hate to think of what might happen.
Or maybe I'm stating what everyone knows - it doesn't happen, does it!