Subject: Re: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: "Harold Gess" <gess@icon.co.za>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 18:17:18 +0200

Hi

Now what I wonder is this: If I buy ready made film, expose it using my
Leica, and then send it to the pro lab for someone else to process using
third party chemicals and, when necessary, print using third party paper and
chemicals, does this preclude me from being a photographer or should I be
making my own camera from raw materials, making my own film from same and
doing all the process work etc in like way?

I think not. I viewed the scene, decided on angle of view, time of day,
f-stop and speed to provide the appropriate photograph. I made a choice of
film and how I would like it processed. The fact that I outsource the
materials to others to supply and the processing work to others who I trust
to follow my instructions does not lessen the fact that it is my creative
work.

Likewise, Leica creates a camera and lenses, and I don't give a tinker's
cuss how that creation comes into being so long as it does according to
their specifications and requirements. Hell, why do we have to decide about
what is manufactured and what is assembled and what the big difference
between the two is?

Leica creates/designs the goods, we like how they work and what they can do
so we buy them and use them. If you want to ensure that the camera you use
it "manufactured" by appropriate companies why not grow your own tree, melt
your own sand, mine and process your own ore and set to work building your
own from scratch!

Best of light

Harold

(©¿©)

You can send a short text message to my cellphone by sending e-mail to
0837004303@sms.co.za.
Please ensure that mail sent for this purpose is in plain text only.

My e-mail addresses are as follows:

haroldgess@journalist.com

gess@icon.co.za

Please use either of these to reach me and, lest you lose sight of it, have
a nice day!