Subject: RE: [Leica] outsourcing components
From: Buzz Hausner <Buzz@marianmanor.org>
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 1999 10:56:08 -0400

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BEDCF7.275414A0

What you stated is not my view.  "Manufacture" is defined in Websters as "
1:
to make into a product suitable for use 2a : to make from raw materials by
hand or by machinery b: to produce according to an organized plan and with
division of labor" while "assemble" is defined as "the fitting together of
manufactured parts into a complete machine, structure, or unit of a
machine."
  If I read Mr. Puts post correctly, Solms does its best to farm out the
manufacture of parts and Solms then assembles the parts into a complete
camera.  Thus, Solms would be an assembler rather than manufacturer.  In any

event, if Mr. Puts is correct, the many of the parts that Solms assembles
into cameras stamped Leica are not necessarily manufactured by Solms but are

purchased from manufacturing concerns.

Again, I wish to thank Mr. Puts for further enlightening us regarding who is

really making the Solms cameras.

It seems to me that the answer is simple.  Those who accept Don Jr.'s logic
should shun anything made in the Solms era and only use equipment made in
the Wetzlar era.  Forget for the moment the Midland era.  I for one find
Junior's logic tortured but, hey, I use the equipment that suits my
needs...Canadian lenses, Solms bodies...and the pictures are wonderful and
none of the equipment has ever needed repair or adjustment right out of the
box.

By the way, DonjR, the swipe you keep taking at Mr. Puts is truly juvenile
but I nonetheless look forward to your disingenuous self-defense.

- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BEDCF7.275414A0

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Dus-ascii">
5.0.1460.9">
<TITLE>RE: [Leica] outsourcing components</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; &gt;&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>What you stated is not my view.&nbsp; =
&quot;Manufacture&quot; is defined in Websters as &quot; 1: </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to make into a product suitable for use 2a : to make =
from raw materials by </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>hand or by machinery b: to produce according to an =
organized plan and with </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>division of labor&quot; while &quot;assemble&quot; =
is defined as &quot;the fitting together of </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>manufactured parts into a complete machine, =
structure, or unit of a machine.&quot; </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&nbsp; If I read Mr. Puts post correctly, Solms does =
its best to farm out the </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>manufacture of parts and Solms then assembles the =
parts into a complete </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>camera.&nbsp; Thus, Solms would be an assembler =
rather than manufacturer.&nbsp; In any </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>event, if Mr. Puts is correct, the many of the parts =
that Solms assembles </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>into cameras stamped Leica are not necessarily =
manufactured by Solms but are </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>purchased from manufacturing concerns.&nbsp;&nbsp; =
</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Again, I wish to thank Mr. Puts for further =
enlightening us regarding who is </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>really making the Solms cameras.</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;&gt;</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>It seems to me that the answer is simple.&nbsp; Those =
who accept Don Jr.'s logic should shun anything made in the Solms era =
and only use equipment made in the Wetzlar era.&nbsp; Forget for the =
moment the Midland era.&nbsp; I for one find Junior's logic tortured =
but, hey, I use the equipment that suits my needs...Canadian lenses, =
Solms bodies...and the pictures are wonderful and none of the equipment =
has ever needed repair or adjustment right out of the box.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>By the way, DonjR, the swipe you keep taking at Mr. =
Puts is truly juvenile but I nonetheless look forward to your =
disingenuous self-defense.</FONT></P>

</BODY>
</HTML>
- ------ =_NextPart_001_01BEDCF7.275414A0--