Subject: Re: [Leica] M$ again, sigh! w
From: 4season <4season@boulder.net>
Date: Mon, 02 Aug 1999 01:02:05 -0600

Dan Post wrote:

>If Netscapes is
> so great, let them sell an operating system that is BETTER than Windows, let
> them come up with a browser, BETTER than windows and people will flock to
> them.The nearest analogy that comes to mind is that if Henry Ford were under
> the same type of government restrictions we have now, the buggy whip makers
> would have cried 'foul' and all model Ts would have had a buggy whip
> attached to the dashboard.
> By the same token, to keep it on topic, and since Leica does not have the
> market share of Nikon or Canon- why don't they sue, and have all Nikons and
> Canons sold with a Leica Filter, say, with each unit!

Yes, but in the photo world, the 35mm standard is an open one. So far,
the closest thing I can think of a photo company trying to pull a
Microsoft is Fuji, whose 120 film is barcoded and hence, a wee bit
handier to use in some of Fuji's cameras. But they haven't made use of
non barcoded film a real pain,and neither have they deliberately sought
to make Kodak film jam.

Be thankful that Kodak's never pulled an Apple, else they'd have bought
out Fuji, moved exclusively to APS and ended all licensing of APS
technologies to outsiders, leaving us to ooh and ahh our multicolored
Kodak APS cameras! That is, when they were actually available.

Open standards rock

Jeff