Subject: Re: [Leica] M$ again, sigh! w
From: Marc James Small <msmall@roanoke.infi.net>
Date: Sun, 01 Aug 1999 12:19:56 -0400

At 01:46 AM 8/2/1999 +1000, Horst Schmidt wrote:
>For MS-DOS have a look at the pre-dating Unix and also Digital Research
>products.
>If you followed MS-Dos from version 1 to Version 6, you'll find a lot of
small
>routines which where already on the market by smaller companies and  even by
>some shareware
>people. See Dos Edit.

Well, no, Horst.  Gates was smart enough to take freeware and to adopt it
to the needs of his customers.  He is a brilliant technician and a
brilliant marketer.  Theft is theft:  if DR or the others had properly
protected their products AND had understood the marketplace, Gates would
still be just another pencil-in-pocket-protector computer nerd, and we'd be
using someone else's products.

I use WordPerfect and Netscape, but only because I, ultimately, got them as
freebies.  I have five computers, all PC clones, and all with Windows (one
386 with 3.1, three Pentium I's with Windows 95, and a Pentium II with
'98).  Love 'em all.

Marc

msmall@roanoke.infi.net  FAX:  +540/343-7315
Cha robh bas fir gun ghras fir!