Subject: [Leica] M4-P questions
From: Ericplatt@aol.com
Date: Sun, 1 Aug 1999 12:34:23 EDT

I know these have come up time and again, but hey, I just joined the list, so
please bear with me.  (Did you realize that when you put M4-P into the search
engine for the LUG, you get almost 1,000 entries?)  Still, I have a couple of
questions about the M4-P.

First, is the letter on the top plate engraved or  stamped?  From what I've
read, I'm pretty sure it is, but I just want to double check.

Also, what is the "common" top plate material on an M4-P.  Mine was made
about December 1982 (it's within 100 of the end of that years run).  I've
heard later ones are zinc, but mine is before that time period.

Thanks for the info.

Eric Platt
St. Paul, MN