Subject: Re: [Leica] lens adaptor question M to OM ?
From: Joe Berenbaum <joe-b@dircon.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 Jul 1999 18:24:18 +0100

At 12:59 PM 7/31/99 -0400, you wrote:

>-------------------- Begin Original Message --------------------
>
>Message text written by INTERNET:leica-users@mejac.palo-alto.ca.us
>
>"I would like to fit my Leica M lenses on the Olympus body. Would that be
>possible?
>I mean technically. Can you fit a rangefinder lens (without the automatic
>diaphragm) on a reflex camera?
>
>If so, how could that work?
>"
>

>-------------------- End Original Message --------------------
>
>You wouldn't get infinity focus, and even if you could put an M lens
>(non-Viso) on a reflex body you'd have to be careful to use only those
>lenses that wouldn't interfere with the reflex mirror.
>
>Doug Herr

The one way to do this and still get infinity focus would be to pick rf
lenses that have detachable lens heads, and just use that front part of the
lens. Some of the older lenses did have removable heads, like the 90/4
Elmar and 135/4 Elmar or 135/4.5 Hektor (amongst others). These would clear
the body, but you would still need an adaptor of some kind and some way of
focusing. Bellows might be the only way to focus a lens head with no
focusing helix, unless you find a focusing mount that it fits while still
clearing the body and mirror.

Joe Berenbaum
mailto:joe-b@dircon.co.uk