Subject: Re: [Leica] Special Edition M6s
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Fri, 30 Jul 1999 10:16:14 -0700

><snip>
> DR. BLACKTAPE SUGGESTS...
>
> ...that it all depends upon whether you have those half-dozen lenses and
> couple of bodies because you are a photographer - pro or am - and regularly
> use them as your photography "tools," or you are a collector. It strikes Dr.
> Blacktape that if you already have a couple of bodies, and haven't been
> planning to purchase another because you need it for your work, you just
> might be better off spending that $3,000 - not $2,000 - on purchasing some
> equipment you need, or upgrading some equipment - let's say to aspherical
> lens or lenses. But that's just Dr. Blacktape's view of the world. And, by
> the way, Dr. Blacktape thinks that black paint bodies are really "keen,"
> it's the extra charge and the "collecting" he fails to understand.
><snip>

I'm coming into some money in about 3 Months and as you may  I know am a photographer...
I've got 4 lenses and a body, I need a second body and a 24 and that is it. And
I might get the new 90 ASHP...and a new computer and a car. Blowing an extra
couple of grand on black shiny paint would be an extravagance, but doable.
Something else would have to go instead and I would have to find out what major
upgrade in my mechanical life can go on hold. These are tools of which we speak,
but even without the special paint they are extravagant ones.
I can see a scenario of after actually seeing the camera in Chicago in October,
getting enamored over the enamel and then going ahead with that extravagance.
I'll get black shiny pictures perhaps; a  black shiny ego which might be good
for me.
I do tend to put my money to practical use.
If I'm out shooting and I run into a guy who's shooting with a black enamel M6
with a little emblem on it do I think. "What an effete *&^%$#" or "What an
interesting choice of creative tools" or "How dare this guy take that investment
out doors." I'd lean toward the middle.
Mark Rabiner
	enamored by the enamel?