Subject: Re: [Leica] Test and introduction
From: TTAbrahams@aol.com
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 20:49:42 EDT

Eric, Welcome to the somewhat opinionated LUG. Some people like the M4P, some
dont, but then some people like M5's too. I have several M4P's and as a rule,
they have given me less trouble than any other M-camera I have used (it is as
troublefree as the M 2).
Your 90 brightlines fading can be two things, it can be dirt or misalignment
of the masks that indicate the lines. If you use the preview lever are the
lines evenly illuminated? If so, it is the arm that "keys" in the lines that
is out of whack. It is a quick adjustment by a competent repairman. You can
see the small 'tab" that moves the lines into place if you look at the camera
lensmount and at approximately the 3/a clock position there is a small tab.
This tab transfers the information to the rangefinder via the lens mount
bayonet. Occasionally you can have lenses were the bayonet is worn and it
doesn't push sufficiently on the tab to move the frames into place. If you
look at the lensmount, one of the bayonet flanges has a straight edge to it,
this is the one that pushes the tab. You can experiment by putting a piece of
tape on this surface and see if the frames pop in more clearly.
Tom A