Subject: [Leica] Re: Re: Special Edition M6s
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Thu, 29 Jul 1999 16:24:38 -0700

On 30 Jul 99, D Khong wrote, at least in part:

> In short, even in the absence of collectors, Leica is capable of
> selling itself and keeping its value.

I dont believe anyone said that the above is not true, Dan. Our
point is that the collectors *help*! Perhaps more than we may
realize. I can't picture Leica doing commemoratives and
continuing to make parts available for really ancient cameras if it
were not the case. Shooters will only keep equipment until the
next better version rolls off the line. EXCEPT for Leica shooters,
obviously.

If anyone thinks that Leica collectors are odd, you ought to hear
what, IMO, the majority of non Leica shooters say about Leica
shooters. To them, the Leica shooter is the odd one, paying the
price that we do for our tools. Tools that they can't see a
difference in the produced work by the Cs, Ns and Ms versus the
Leicas.

Could it just be that we are nearly as odd as the collectors?

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org

     Is life so dear, or peace so sweet, as to be purchased
     at the price of chains and slavery? Forbid it, Almighty God!
     I know not what course others may take; but as for me,
     give me liberty or give me death!
               -- Patrick Henry