Subject: [Leica] Re: Special Edition M6s
From: "Roger Beamon" <roger@beamon.org>
Date: Wed, 28 Jul 1999 17:04:15 -0700

On 29 Jul 99, D Khong wrote, at least in part:

> At about $3000 per piece, which is not shockingly more than a new M6, it
> can qualify to be a user.  The pitiful thing about leicas ia that, unlike
> well-faded jeans which can fetch more than the brand new product, the
> cameras never get to see even a roll of film through their bellies.  Who
> knows what earth moving pictures it could have missed recording by
> remaining in virginal status in the hands of those pitiful collectors.
> Maybe it's time to see a little exposed brass behind the black paint
> (meaning that this camera has seen some decent "action") as desirable as
> the untouched product.

Pitiful collectors? You make them sound like drech! Not so. As if
every Leica has, as its rightful duty, the making of great images.
No, not until it is in the hands of a good shooter. Until then, it's
nothing more than an unused tool, and that's not a shame. Any
camera in the hands of a good shooter can make great images.

Though not a collector, I relish the idea of the collector cult that
has grown up around Leica products. Ye Gods, if it weren't for the
collectors, the economies of scale that apply only a little to Leica
would be nonexistent! I'll guarantee that if too many Leicas are
squirreled away by collectors, Leica WILL MAKE MORE! You will be
able to get yours and at a lesser price than if there were no
collectors.

- --
Roger
mailto:roger@beamon.org