Subject: Re: [Leica] A4, etc
From: "A.H.SCHMIDT" <horst.schmidt@actek.com.au>
Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 19:53:39 +1000

- --------------18620C0600219EE30781BDB1

KPETERS wrote:

>  perhaps a dumb question, but I keep running into "A4" size prints,
> etc, etc.  What are the "inch" equivalents to these "A-series" size
> prints?  Can someone clarify this?  Are these standard "European" size
> prints, and if so, does the "A" stand for anything??  Thanks, Kent  A
> 4 should really be written as DIN A4, DIN stands for Deutscher
> Industrie Standard = German Industrial Standard.
> An A4 sheet mesures 297mm x 210mm. This is approx. 11.7" x 8.3".
> However it should really be used with the metric mesurement.
>
> An  A4 sheet, is 1/2 the area of an A3 sheet which is 1/2 of an A2
> sheet and so on.
> there is also a B size. For example a B4. This is the envelope size to
> fit an A4 sheet in to it. The most common envelope size is B5. This
> again has half the area of a B4 size.
>
> Regards, Horst Schmidt

- --------------18620C0600219EE30781BDB1

<HTML>
<BODY BGCOLOR="#FFFFFF">
&nbsp;

<P>KPETERS wrote:
<BLOCKQUOTE TYPE=CITE>&nbsp;<FONT SIZE=-1>perhaps a dumb question, but
I keep running into "A4" size prints, etc, etc.&nbsp; What are the "inch"
equivalents to these "A-series" size prints?&nbsp; Can someone clarify
this?&nbsp; Are these standard "European" size prints, and if so, does
the "A" stand for anything??&nbsp; Thanks, Kent</FONT>&nbsp;&nbsp;A 4 should
really be written as DIN A4, DIN stands for Deutscher Industrie Standard
= German Industrial Standard.
<BR>An A4 sheet mesures 297mm x 210mm. This is approx. 11.7" x 8.3". However
it should really be used with the metric mesurement.

<P>An&nbsp; A4 sheet, is 1/2 the area of an A3 sheet which is 1/2 of an
A2 sheet and so on.
<BR>there is also a B size. For example a B4. This is the envelope size
to fit an A4 sheet in to it. The most common envelope size is B5. This
again has half the area of a B4 size.

<P>Regards, Horst Schmidt
<BR>&nbsp;
<BR>&nbsp;