Subject: Re: [Leica] Sports Illustrated cover
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 13:54:51 -0500

On 7/26/99 12:30 PM dcardish@microtec.net wrote

>Funny thing about that photo (one of the all time great Sports photos,
>IMHO, taken by Neil Leifer (sp?)), is that few or none of the other guys
>with cameras are actually using them, as I recall.

Correct....4 visible photogs in background 1 guy with rolleiflex
shooting, one guy with some kind of 35mm shooting (can't tell which as
ring rope goes across camera), other 2 photogs just looking. 1 is the guy
with 2 RFDRs (maybe zone focusing shooting(NOT!!) and other guy with
Rollei....Looks like some guy with speedgraphic may be behind Ali shoting
also...can't really tell as he is almost totally blocked.

Re Neil Leifer...I was covering trhe 1991 World Serries in Atlanta
shooting for the now dead Gwinnett Daily News.  Neil was there shoting
for Time.  I saw former President Carter doing the "tommahawk chop" with
Ted Turner.  I yanked out my color neg and burned a roll of chrome and
shipped film to SIPA, my agent back then.  When Time ran a photo of
Carter and Turner doing the chop it was mine even though Neil was
shooting them with a wide from up close...mine was a 400 mm shot from a
distance......

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net