Subject: [Leica] Heavyweight contentions
From: Vondauster@aol.com
Date: Sun, 25 Jul 1999 13:18:55 EDT

Hi All,

Sandy wrote, in part:

<< Aside from the fact that I appreciate the Leica
 craftsmanship and the fabulous glass, I also find that I'm more likely to
take
 my Leica with me (and consequently shoot more) as opposed to schlepping a
 tripod and twenty pounds of SLR equipment for low light shots. >>

An excellent point. Perhaps I'm just a wimpy little guy (quiet, Walt), but
the difference in weight between the R8 and say, the excellent 70-180mm f2.8
lens, and the Canon 1N and it's also excellent 70-200mm f2.8 is astonishing.
After shooting an annual festival in Estes Park, a three-day marathon of film
burning last year, my R8 and assorted lenses went away permanently - if
grudgingly - in favor of the EOS system.

Lately, I have found myself actually enjoying the Olympus OM-3, where I can
schlepp around two bodies and five lenses in the bag that holds the 1N and
two lenses. Barely.

And the M6 is still king in this area.

Manual and mechanical rules! Well, at least for a while longer.

Will von Dauster