Subject: [Leica] Misc. Rambling
From: "Bud Cook" <budcook@ibm.net>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 19:25:51 -0500

Henning, didn't you know that original double stroke M3's were hand
carved out of wood by elves in the Black Forest.  They don't make 'em like
they used to.

Walt, in BMW-speak a Beemer is a motorcycle and a Bimmer is a car.

Point and Shoot cameras may require more thought than good old manual
cameras.  My brother-in-law recently stopped by on his return from a trip to
Alberta.  He had his film processed while he was here and the vast majority
of his images were nearly useless.  He had many pictures of windows (he
didn't realize that the camera needed to be told the subject wasn't the
window).  He had many pictures of backlit subjects that were unrecognizable
(he didn't know he needed to tell the camera what was important in the
image).  The list goes on....

On a recent trip, I got to use my new pre-ASPH Summicron-M and found that it
produced about the cleanest whites on Kodachrome I've ever seen.  This lens
also showed me something else.  The swing-out polarizer I've been using all
these years changes color rendition more than I thought.   I never saw it
before with my older M lenses but the new 35 shows it up.

HCB was right when he said wide angles were for show offs:-)

Bud Cook - Still believing that the Elmarit is the *normal* focal length for
Kodachrome.