Subject: [Leica] was my leica m6 stolen?
From: kyle cassidy <cassidy@hector.asc.upenn.edu>
Date: Sat, 24 Jul 1999 14:39:26 -0400 (EDT)

Howdy all,
  I just bought a used M6 from a large, long-time-in-business store in the
U.S.. When a friend asked me the serial number, I was forced to say that I
hadn't been able to find a serial number on it. He told me to look on the
hot shoe, and when I did, i found that one of the sides of the hot shoe,
the one where the serial number was supposed to be, has a decided
_depression_ or _groove_ in it, very finely milled, but a groove
nonetheless, did someone file off the serial number? it is also a slightly
lighter color, as though someone perhaps repainted it, though i would
think painstakingly. when a level is placed across the hotshoe, one side
is definately slightly lower than the other, which would fit in with some
metal being ground away. am i being paranoid? should i call the store i
bought it from and try and trace down the previous owner?
  Thanks for your expertise,

  Kyle