Subject: [Leica] why leica?
From: "David L. Duff" <duffdl@uswest.net>
Date: Fri, 23 Jul 1999 14:40:34 -0700

OK, well I am a professional (photo-microscopist?) and I don't use Leica
professionally because my employer buys Zeiss scopes and they all come
with either N***n's or C****x's on 'em (although these same scopes at
one time did come with the now very collectable M4-MOT's, but alas not
my scopes :-().
I also usually carry a personal camera with me wherever I go and I make
it a point to not own the same brand (or at least models/lenses) as my
employer so there is never a question as to whom the one around my neck
belongs.
That being said, about 5 years ago one of my co-workers loaned me his
IIIf/RDDA aqnd I was hooked. I loved the feel of the thing, the fact
that rangefinders were new to me slowed me down immensily, and made me
stop and think about my photography as I performed it. I didn't have a
meter. so I got really good with sunny 16 and learned even more. Anyway
I started with LTM's, then moved to an M3 and an M4-P.
I also am addicted to the feel good (Farhvegnugen?) I get from the
Voodoo/spells they put on these things before they leave the factory to
get those of us who are suscepable addicted to them (could that explain
the great lengths we go to to acquire them and defend them so
emotionally?).
'Nuf said, back to list lurking and "Leica-bating".
David Duff