Subject: Re: [Leica] Lens Caps and Coupling Rings
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:48:43 EDT

In a message dated 7/21/99 5:01:04 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
msmall@roanoke.infi.net writes:

<< Leitz/Leica intended there to be two separate devices, a lens cap and a
 lens coupling ring.  Why try to combine them?  That is the most unseemly of
 all possible things!

 You have, say, two lenses attached by a coupling ring in your bag, and
 another on the camera.  You remove the lens from your camera and swap it
 onto the coupling ring for a lens there, which you then install on your
 camera.  Why the need for this mixture of lens cap and coupling ring?

 Marc >>

Of course you know that the R lens couplers *do* have a solid partition in
the middle.  Why the M couplers don't is probably open (pardon the pun) to
conjecture, but to me it's no big deal because I simply put the body cap on
the open end of the coupler, just to protect the rear element of the other
coupled lens.  The most important fact is that Leica, and nobody else, makes
couplers *period*, and they're a darned nifty idea.  I had to jury-rig two
lenscaps together for my Nikons.  I don't trust glue.  I used flatwashers and
pop-rivets.  But I doubt if I'd have ever thought of it were it not for the
Leica couplers.

DT