Subject: [Leica] Amateur Photographer and R8
From: "Stuart Phillips" <stuart.phillips@umb.edu>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 19:07:31 -0400

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01BED3AC.49337FA0

It seems that there is a definite cultural difference operating here.  =
As usual, what is the "best"? I am English by birth but have more than =
20 years' distance to improve my perspective. =20

Since World War II, Britain has until recently been significantly less =
affluent.  Magazines and other media reflect this, in part by =
considering value for money, or if you like, the possibly of any of =
their readers ever owning the product. In the US, cereal ads take place =
in $50,000 kitchens. In Britain, a cleaning product is demonstrated in a =
kitchen like mine (only cleaner). In SLR's Leica doesn't get the free =
ride that the M system does through lack of competition.  (BTW, I love =
M's) It doesn't seem so surprising that another SLR would beat out the =
R8.

stuart phillips

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01BED3AC.49337FA0

<HTML><HEAD>
http-equiv=3DContent-Type>
<STYLE></STYLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY bgColor=3D#ffffff>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>It seems that there is a definite =
cultural=20
difference operating here.&nbsp; As usual, what is the "best"? I am =
English by=20
birth but have more than 20 years' distance to improve my =
perspective.&nbsp;=20
</FONT></DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>Since World War II, Britain has until =
recently been=20
significantly less affluent.&nbsp; Magazines and other media reflect =
this, in=20
part by considering value for money, or if you like, the possibly of any =
of=20
their readers ever owning the product. In the US, cereal ads take place =
in=20
$50,000 kitchens. In Britain, a cleaning product is demonstrated in a =
kitchen=20
like mine (only cleaner). In SLR's Leica doesn't get the free ride that =
the M=20
system does through lack of competition.&nbsp; (BTW, I love M's) It =
doesn't seem=20
so surprising that another SLR would beat out the R8.</FONT></DIV>
<DIV>&nbsp;</DIV>
<DIV><FONT face=3DArial size=3D2>stuart =
phillips</FONT></DIV></BODY></HTML>

- ------=_NextPart_000_008A_01BED3AC.49337FA0--