Subject: [Leica] 28 pc
From: MC Lau <mclau@pc.jaring.my>
Date: Wed, 21 Jul 1999 23:56:49 +0800

The manual gives a formula to compute the displacement produced by
shifting:-

    Field displacement (m) = (off set in mm / focal length in mm) *
focusing distance(m)

In the example given where

offset = 11mm        focal length = 28mm
focusing distance = 150m

the field displacement is 58.93m or 15 floors of a typical commercial
building when fully shifted.

At that position, I managed to frame in a 35-storey building in the
vertical format.  It is good enough for most architectural shoots,
unless you are taking a very tall building in a confined space.

At 565kg, it is well balanced on the camera, but one must learn to get
used to the shift screw that sticks out from the barrel.  About the same
weight and length of a 90 Summicron R.

No automatic diaphram;  I have a few frames burnt out because I forgot
to lock down the diaphram.  It uses special 67EW filters available only
from B&W, and you can't use the hood with filters.

MC Lau