Subject: [Leica] focusing the M6 .85x
From: "Dale Reed" <dale-reed@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 22:07:57 -0800

My old(64 years with astigmatism) tired eyes require a new eyeglass
prescription. I have always used two prescriptions: one for
reading/computer and one for distance/driving_etc.  My present distance
prescription works best for focusing my M6s.  Works OK most of the time
but I would like to do better.

Actually I had three prescriptions for awhile. When I was shooting
pistols with my two sons I took my .357 into the ophthalmologist office
and he optimized my ability to see the gun sights.

Of course I could not see the targets all that well but hey, life is
full of tradeoffs.

So how do I optimize my ability to focus my M6s?  Brian Bower says that
the virtual distance of the viewfinder image is around 1m/3ft.  Will the
ophthalmologist be able to measure this distance on my camera before he
measures my eyes for new glasses?  Will he care?

And don't tell me to sell my manual Leicas and buy something with
automatic focusing.  I will do that when I buy my first automobile with
an automatic transmission or pay some kid to mow my lawn.

Thanks for the help.   Dale
- ---
Who is John Galt?
$ dale-reed@worldnet.att.net  Seattle, Washington U.S.A. $