Subject: RE: [Leica] Some R questions....
From: "Andrew S Jordan" <andrewsjordan@worldnet.att.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 18:23:24 -0400

> Ok R fans, I'm putting together a small R kit to replace my manual-focus
> Nikons and I need to be brought up to speed on a couple things:

DT: Responding to 2. & 3.
2. Before I switched to the 28mm PC SA, I had the "older" 28mm f2.8
Elmarit-R. I wish I still had it. It is an excellent and sharp lens.
Further, the 35mm f2.8 Elmarit-R which I still have is superior to the
pre-aspheric Summicron-M. In the 50mm focal length the latest Summilux-R may
beat the Summicron-R but at what cost in $-s and weight. In the 90mm range I
would prefer the Summicron-R(Canadian)-with sharpness and bokeh to burn over
the Elmarit-R. I base this in comparison with the latest Elmarit-M which is
supposedly an identical  optical formula with the Elmarit-R. At 180mm my
choice is the apo-telyt f3.4. It is not too heavy, designed for the US
Navy(?) and all in all a classic if you are not interested in the
quasi-macro range.
3. I would prefer the R7 over the R8. But I am very happy with a made in
Germany R5.

Good Luck,
Andrew Jordan