Subject: Re: [Leica] Portland Oregon Shops
From: Lucian Chis <chis@ece.orst.edu>
Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 12:47:35 -0700 (PDT)

Camera World is a consumer oriented outfit in downtown Portland; they
aren't even listed in the Yellow pages as Leica Dealers; they sell a lot
of stuff, yes, but try to ask them anything above their p&S and they will
quickly refer you to Pro Photo.
They are interested in making money, not helping you in any way!
They don't have a rental department anymore; they are swamped with lay
people asking all sort of idiotic questions all the time. Prices aren't
that great. Hardly anything used.
On the other hand, their mail order division which is in the old building
with the warehouse in NE Portland is great. They don't have anyting gray!
When I bought my P2002 a couple of months ago, Pro Photo had the same
price as B&H without shipping charges; well Camera World had it in stock
for $530 (if you order on-line they pay shipping).
The retail store is great for Kodachrome: 24 hrs turn around.

Lucian

PS Mark, how many Camera World sponsored photography events have you seen?
I tend to be a little patriotic locally here; as you said CW was bought by
some San Francisco group or something like that, and it is a large store,
but I doubt that it its in the requirements that started this discussion.

BTW, I have just returned from Pro Photo, and they have 2X50 Leica trays
for $11.50 or something like that. Also I found 6X9, 6X7 presentation
mounts for transparencies (for Texas Leicas). They also have a couple of
Leica Fotografie magazines for sale as well (I think I saw 5/99 and 6/99)
and a lot of books (unlike Camera World)