Subject: Re: [Leica] Focusing accuracy with 90mm
From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:38:03 +0000

>Hi there,
>
>I'm an "old" R system user. I bought an M6 + 50mm Summicron last year.
>I'm now going to buy a 90/2.8 (Elmarit or Tele-Elmarit).
>
>I'm not sure about the real possiblity to focus with enough accuracy on
>close-up pictures, e.g. a portratit, in the 1-2 meters range.
>
>With my 90/2.8 R at full aperture I must be very carefoul to get the
>desired results.
>
>I suppose that using a M6 HM would help. What about a viewfinder
>magnifier (enlarger)? Does exist something that you can fit on the
>eyeplace?
>
>Thanks for your help.
>cheers
>-francesco

Wide open, the 90mm M lens will display the typical narrow DOF and I have
found that any subject under 2 meters distance might sometimes be out of
focus (presuming your M camera does not have focus misalignment).  I found
that using 1/250 sec in shutter speed tends to eliminate any blurness due
to shaky hands (some might like to claim that they can handhold a 90mm lens
at much slower speed). Yes, the HM will help if a higher magnification is
important.

Dan K.