Subject: Re: [Leica] G2 on my new Contax
From: "TSL" <eno22@enter.net>
Date: Sun, 18 Jul 1999 04:41:46 -0400

From: D Khong <dkhong@pacific.net.sg>

>I good friend of mine who happens to rep for Contax himself owns an M6. :)
>
>I had the same feeling about the G2 that you had, its not designed for
>manual photography. If you want a good point and shoot, why not get a
>Minilux Zoom?
>
>All the G2 is really is a very expensive point and shoot camera. That
>isn't even designed very well.
>
>-Mark

<<I think many people tend to compare the attributes of the G2 with that of
the M6.  They are entire different picture taking contraptions and, being
an owner of at least 4 M bodies, I have found the use of the G2 an added
enjoyment to what I have been achieving with the M cameras.

There are days which I just feel lazy to focus and set exposures and so the
G2 becomes my glorified P&S.  The excellent Carl Zeiss optics makes it more
than an average run of the mill P&S.  I get pictures which can stand up to
some of the best optics around.

Another nice attribute of the G2 is that it can focus in almost total
darkness, even at light levels which my M6 become difficult to view.

The mindset when using these two should be that they are complementary
rather than competitive. One should not buy a G2 to try and achieve what
you actually like in a Leica M camera. It is not a cheaper version of the
M6. That would be a mistake and many of my friends who did that eventually
became frustrated and realize that they should have stretched their dollar
and gotten the M6 instead.

Dan K.>>
- ------
well why not go for a bigger spread and use the contax T2?  It's
capabilities, although different are numerous.  I have slides that I can't
determine which camera I used (yeah it's my fault).  I sold the T2 because I
wanted to buy something else (brilliant...)  But as far as point and shoot
that thing was user friendly, had manual override (sort of) excellent flash,
and a razor sharp lens.Low light situations are even better handled! and
it's smaller than the G2 or M6.  I know there's not much enthusiasm out
there for the T* p/s forget the APS! - but this camera is absolutely perfect
at doing what it does (doesn't everything have this quality?..?)
Are people afraid to get caught with automatics? Complementing an M and
keeping close (sort of) quality - the T* is worth the money. Picking up an M
camera gives a strong quality response.  This is like that but not so good.
I know first hand how you can throw this thing around with no problems.  I'd
like to hear from those who have used this a bit - maybe everyone hates it.