Subject: Re: [Leica] warm polarizer
From: Harrison McClary <harrison@mcclary.net>
Date: Thu, 15 Jul 1999 14:34:51 -0500

Dan Post wrote:

>I had always heard that if you wanted good color before
> 10am or after 2pm, a bit of cooling filtration was needed (82A)

Guess it depends on what you deem is good color...IMHO any color shot
with the "blue" middle of the day look is to be used for position only
photos...I much prefer the warm/red glow from the magic hour light.  Will
scout locations with a compass and wait till the light gets right
(usually only a matter of minutes before sunset/after sunrise) to shoot.
Shoot chrome and raise H*** with the printer/scanner when the color in
the proofs does not match the chrome...If I did not want that warm angled
light with nice shadows look I would have shot in the middle of the day.

See the photo on my site under travel of the Shaker's house to see the
best example of what I am talking about made about 15 minutes after
sun-up.  Photo would have not worked in the middle of the day.

But to each his own.

Harrison McClary
email: harrison@mcclary.net
http://www.mcclary.net