Subject: [Leica] Re:
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 20:26:59 EDT

In a message dated 7/10/99 2:35:22 PM Eastern Daylight Time,
tbryant@pars5.gsfc.nasa.gov writes:

>  I'm oogling the Noctilux, although the practical problems give me pause
>  (size, weight, vignetting, depth of field, and softness, compared to my
>  Summilux).  Is another stop worth $1000+? I dunno.  And that intrusion into
>  the lower right of the viewfinder.  With the older Summilux, with it's
>  elegant, detachable, reversable, vented shade, is only a minor (compared to
>  the new Noctilux) problem.

Carrying the Noct on a body in a pocket as you describe later in your post is
*not* possible, unless you have enormous pockets and don't mind having the
jacket stretch and droop from the weight (this also applies to photo vests).
Truly, it is a beast.

You could pack the body and lens in different pockets without too much
problem.

>       BTW, that Summilux is gorgeous, wide open.  I rarely use it any other
>  way.  I rarely use *any* of my Leica lenses any other way.
>  The Leicas usually have ISO 800, the Canon 25 or 50.

What light conditions are you normally shooting in?  I find the Noct to be
too fast for wide open shooting with EI 800, unless nearing twilight or other
low light conditions.

/Mitch