Subject: Re: [Leica] Names of Leica lenses
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 21:54:32 -0700

Paul Chefurka wrote:

> On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 19:54:04 -0700, you wrote:
>
> >I am very new to using a Leica and would like to know if someone can point
> >me to some material that will explain why Leica lenses have names and what
> >those names mean.
>
><snip>
> The "lux" suffix indicates a very large maximum aperture - the
> Noctilux is f1.0, any Summilux is f1.4.
Lux means light I think but I looked it up in the Dictionary. The
English translation for the German "Lux" is "Lux".
I think it's old German slang for "bright".

> Telyt seems to indicate an aperture intermediate between the full
> stops - there are f3.4 and f6.8 Telyts that I'm aware of.
Barnacks Frog

> Elmarit indicates an aperture of 2.8 (except for the 50/2.8 M lens
> which is known as an Elmar)
Ernst's favorate Frog (they were competitive)

> Elmar usually indicates an aperture of f4.0
Barnacks dog

> Prefixes may be added to indicate the type or design of the lens, as
> in
> Vario-Elmar,
Italian Ambidextrous puppy of Barnacks dog

> Tele-Elmarit or
Frog on the telephone selling stuff.

> Macro-Elmarit.
Italian frog on Vespa

> Simple, no?
>
> Paul Chefurka

Paul didn't explain it so I but in inserts.
Mark Rabiner