Subject: Re: [Leica] Names of Leica lenses
From: chefurka@sympatico.ca (Paul Chefurka)
Date: Fri, 09 Jul 1999 06:33:11 GMT

On Thu, 08 Jul 1999 19:54:04 -0700, you wrote:

>I am very new to using a Leica and would like to know if someone can point
>me to some material that will explain why Leica lenses have names and what
>those names mean.

Others can speculate as to the meanings of the names (all I know is
that the Hektor was apparently named after a German Shepherd), but the
name typically indicates the maximum aperture of the lens (regardless
of its focal length):

The "lux" suffix indicates a very large maximum aperture - the
Noctilux is f1.0, any Summilux is f1.4.

Summicron indicates an f2.0 aperture

Telyt seems to indicate an aperture intermediate between the full
stops - there are f3.4 and f6.8 Telyts that I'm aware of.

Elmarit indicates an aperture of 2.8 (except for the 50/2.8 M lens
which is known as an Elmar)

Elmar usually indicates an aperture of f4.0

Prefixes may be added to indicate the type or design of the lens, as
in Vario-Elmar, Tele-Elmarit or Macro-Elmarit.

Simple, no?

Paul Chefurka