Subject: [Leica] Avedon, origins, and the like: was Light leak in M6?
From: Chandos Michael Brown <cmbrow@mail.wm.edu>
Date: Thu, 08 Jul 1999 17:02:57 -0400

Fair enough, but I was 17 yrs old at the time--for all I knew Avedon used a
Zenit B.  I did know the look I wanted (and it didn't help to have recently
seen -Blowup-, which forever shaped my notions, together with
Costa-Gravas'  -Z-, of how a proper photographer behaved ).  What can I
say?  In those innocent days photography hadn't yet for me become  a
*discipline*; it was more a late adolescent fantasy of a lifestyle.  I can
still remember the first serious book of photographs I ever spent time
with: -Sander Menschen-, at about the same time.  I worked in a good camera
store when I was in highschool, the youngest by decades of any of the
employees.  Irv Baer, a very serious collector of Leicas (this in the late
60s) persuaded me that if I were going to take up photography, then I
shouldn't have the luxury ever of blaming the gear for my own
inadequacies.  I bought the Nikon F at the substantial discount that EPOI
offered to camera store employees.  A year later, in some elaborate deal
Irv worked out in trading some of his own Leica stuff with our Leica rep, I
came into a M3 DS with a Summarit for the then princely sum of $175.  I
haven't used an SLR as a principal camera since.

I'm interested to know about Avedon.  I'm not sure that I ever knew much
about his actual technique.

Chandos

At 01:38 PM 7/8/1999 -0700, you wrote:
>vedon a "main man" of mine has a distinction of having completely
>avoided 35mm throughout his long incredibly distinguished career.
>Had always used a Rolleiflex sometimes a Hasselblad with a 150 but for
>the past decade an 8 by 10 point and shoot(in effect).

Chandos Michael Brown
Assoc. Prof., History and American Studies
College of William and Mary

http:www.wm.edu/CAS/ASP/faculty/brown