Subject: Re: [Leica] XTOL Again (slightly off-topic)
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 11:26:37 -0700

"Richard E. Baznik" wrote:

> Yesterday I processed a roll of TMX in XTOL for the first time (shot in an
> M6 with Tri-Elmar and thin Tele-Elmarit, so we have some relevance to the
> LUG). I shot at EI 100, and used a 1:3 dilution for 13 minutes at 74F.
> Great negatives, wonderful prints.
>
> One question, however. The frame numbers and other Kodak verbage on the
> edges of the film are practically invisible. Is this a common trait of
> XTOL? I've never had that result with any other developer, and I've used
> quite a few. It is slightly inconvenient, but I'll live with it if that's
> the price of getting negatives like these.
>
> Anyone have a similar experience?///REB
>
> Richard E. Baznik

Kodak calls it a surface etching developer or some such odd thing so if
your previous developer wasn't that could be it but I think you just
have a new emulsion batch. Time for Kodak to replace their LED.
I have seen 8 by 10 prints made with TMY with Xtol that I guessed were
TMX (400 speed verses 100 speed).
That is what got me to got out and buy a packet. But all I've done is
Tri X and Pan F, no tab films yet.
I think TMY (400) with Xtol is being considered a "magic" combination
used by some top "names" and people in the know. It's taking the
combined force of such rumors to tear me away from my beloved TriX for a
second. I can't bear not having it in my camera.
Mark Rabiner