Subject: Re: [Leica] Noctilux?
From: "Leslie Koh" <lesliek@oriental.com.hk>
Date: Tue, 6 Jul 1999 17:27:29 +0800

>From: Simon Pulman-Jones

>> For the past few days I have been driving myself slowly mad wondering
>> whether to buy a Noctilux that I have seen at a (relatively speaking!)
>> reasonable price, knowing that if I didn't make up my mind it would be
>>sure to be gone soon...
>> Do I just need a blast of the bright southern light of common sense to
>> banish this Noctilux fever? Or should I pick up the phone and tell the
>> dealer to send me that northern gloom-buster? :-)

For what its worth, I too was afflicted with the same psychotic episode over
whether  'To Nocti or not to Nocti' and it was after having taken pics with
it (courtesy of Dr. Joseph Yao) that basically made it a no-brainer for me.
Dished out the dollars and haven't looked back since!  Fantastic for
low/natural-light portraits and captures the mood like no other lens I know
of.

It may not be everyone's cup of tea as it is a huge and heavy lens, and the
very small DOF requires that little bit more effort in focusing.  BUT, get
it right and its in a class of its own.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Leslie Koh

N.B.
When you've physically, mentally, and financially recovered from your
current Nocti ailment, see if you're up to taking a close look at the
Summilux 75/1.4, another unbeatable low-light lens in this range.
Ooooo...you're going to lose some sleep over this one!