Subject: Re: [Leica] ideal SINGLE lens for M6HM
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Mon, 05 Jul 1999 23:10:33 -0700

Harrison McClary wrote:

> Mark,
>
> Even though I own and use extensively a 70-200 Canon zoom, I agree with
> what I think you are saying about zooms being "a key to mediocrity".  For
> me, also, they are the same.  I find myself getting very lazy when using
> the zoom...need closer just turn the ring...sometimes is a way of getting
> a photo easy instead of thinking about composition and such.  Back when
> shooting news I never used zooms...always shot primes.  ><snip>
> Don't know if this makes sense or not, but just the way I
> "see"...probably ought to just get on with it and go back to all primes,
> but dern it is nice to only carry one lens where I used to have 3.....
>
> More power to those of ya'll who think in zooms.
>
> On 7/4/99 1:17 PM Mark Rabiner wrote:
><snip>But I haven't shot with a zoom in years, I
><snip> An indispensable tool for most, a key to mediocrity for me.
>
> Best regards,
> Harrison McClary
One reason a zoom might be a key to mediocrity is it gets you using
flash so you can use your zoom inside.
The flash then makes your color darn easy to balance as it is consistent.
I like the idea of shooting with either a 35 or 50 inside and squeezing
them off flashless. That fact that I've been able to specialize in black
and white makes this more possible. I have been saying "I hope you like
Black and White!" and saying no to color jobs. This makes my wife's
regular paycheck very comforting.
I used mainly zooms for years but I switched to fixed lenses 8 years ago
2 years before I got my first Leica M(6).
I realize I sound slightly snotlike but what the hey! I'm shooting with
lip smackingly excellent glass and I'm darn happy about it.
I'm 48 and due for a handfull more basic changes in life/outlook before
I croak.
I could be shooting 8 by 10 in millennium #2 -replace my enlarger with a
VC lightbulb.
Mark Rabiner