Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Travel Security
From: Zeissleica@aol.com
Date: Mon, 5 Jul 1999 18:18:15 EDT

horst.schmidt@actek.com.au writes:

> > Must've been any awfully dinky tourist or else a thief on a Harley using a
>  > grappling hook roped to the handlebars.  At 6'4", 265 lbs. I'd like to
see
>  > someone come by on a scooter, grab my waistpack with one hand and drag me
>  > helplessly to my death.
>  > DT
>
>    This is correct. many people have been badly injured. Maybe it can't
> happen
>  to you, but then not everybody weighs probably 300 pounds and is at the
same
>  time always alert and ready for anything.

It doesn't have to be outside of the US and it could be anybody.

Several years ago, during the noon time rush hour, one of my co-workers was
grabbed off her feet by a carload of thugs when she was crossing 18th and K
Street NW in Washington, DC.  They carried her long enough to wrestle a
non-descript briefcase out of her hands, dropped her on her rear and took off
around the corner...  SMASHING THEMSELVES INTO A PARKED CAR!

My friend rushed up to the dazed thugs, reached into the car, grabbed her
briefcase of wedding plans (you didn't want to get between her and those
precious wedding plans) and collapsed into the crowd that had gathered.

The thugs gathered their wits and escaped; the car turned out to have been
stolen.

/Mitch