Subject: Re: [Leica] Photos
From: DonjR43198@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 15:27:47 EDT

bdcolen@earthlink.net writes:

<<
 By the way - Dr. Blacktape has issues a challenge, and wonders if any LUGers
 can pick out the few photos taken with a Nikkor 105 2.5 and a Canon SM 35
 2.8 Serenar, rather than with M glass. Most of the photos were taken with
 the 35 Summilux ASPH and the 21 pre-ASPH. All were taken on XP2 Super and
 scanned with an HP PhotoSmart. >>

These are wonderful snapshots of the family but I have to agree with Dr.
Blacktape that the quality of the web prints is just that "web prints."  The
web just destroys the true quality that Leica or any other camera system
provides.  It is nice to be able to transmit photos over the wire but the
quality is destroyed and Brownie box camera quality is what results.  I could
not even find an eyelash or hair in the photos that I examined.  What should
have been detail was just a blob.  Kind of like looking at a tree from a few
hundred yards away.  No leaves, just a blob.

I am presently checking out my 21 mm ASPH, 35 mm Summicron ASPH and 135 mm
APO, and the negatives really look good but they were shots of high contrast
subjects, in bright light, with EFKE KB 25 and Tech Pan from a solid tripod
and then processed in T.E.C. or a Willi Beutler derivative for sharpness.
For comparison purposes, the prints would be enlarged through an APO Rodagon
or Componon and laid side-by-side for a a close look.  Then an opinion could
be formed.

I am sure that the negatives of the family show many times more detail than
is exhibited in on the monitor.  Still not sure hand held action shots
provide enough quality to allow a distinction to be made between Leica, Nikon
and Canon prints.

Thanks for sharing the nice shots.