Subject: [Leica] report conclusions
From: Erwin Puts <imxputs@knoware.nl>
Date: Sun, 4 Jul 1999 21:08:26 +0200

I shot comparison images on the same film (lens by lens) (my bayonet is the
first item to exchange because of usage) and noted that the Ricoh, Skopar
lenses exhibit second generation characteristic. Overall the images are
duller and a bit muddier than the current Leica lenses. Still the Ricoh is
better than the S-Angulons and the Skopar not having a predecessor can be
compared only to the Elmarit-ASPH 24.
A most interesting phenomenon became visible with these side-by-side-shots.
The Ricoh and Skopar give images with a grainier pattern and with grain
clumps that are rougher than when the Leica lenses are used. This is caused
by the lower aberration content of the Ricoh/Skopar lenses. When
aberrations are abundant the light rays emanating from a light point source
do not converge to one point in the image but have a more random pattern
around the central core. These more widely spread rays energise more silver
grainaround the center spot and randomly so. A rough clumping is the
result.
Modern Leica lenses produce a smooth pattern of very tighly contained
grainclumps, which helps preserve the rendition of very fine detail and the
smooth gradation of  fine light modulations.
Leica lenses exhibit a crisp clarity  of the finest possible detail, that
the Japanese contenders can not match.
On its own the Ricoh and Skopar lenses are excellent value and especially
the Skopar at f/4 is on axis a strong performer. The outer zones are no
match for the Leica (at f/2,8!!) but still it is a tempting lens.
The Hexanon 2,4/50 is a Jekyll and Hyde poposition. With its slightly loose
tube it is a questionable offering. I made my comments based on the optimum
position and assuming that quality control will tighten up, it has the
potential to be one of the first contemporary lenses to be a threat to a
Leica lens. Its optimum performance at f/2,8 is simply better than the
Elmar-M 2.8/50 and even at its worst setting would kill the older version
of the Elmar.
The excellent performance of the Ricoh and Skopar are partly the result of
the modest aperture. The higher aberration content will not be visibly
buried as this will be among other things in the depth of field.
The generally weaker performance in the field is also a characteristic that
distinguishes these lenses from the
Leica lenses.

The Hexanon 1.2/60 is next

Erwin