Subject: Re: [Leica] 2X Extender - (non APO)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:43:31 -0700

Dick Hemingway wrote:

>Can you use the 2X extender, non APO, with (a) the 80/1.4, (b) the 50/1.4,
>or (c) the 100/2.8 APO??
>
>What I mean is will it fit without hurting the lens??   If so, how bad are
>the results???>>>>>>>>

Hi Dick,

Yes you can with all three of them. Regardless of what it says in the Leica
manual. Will it hurt the lens?.....no not at all. It will when wide open
make a slight difference to the Leica test bench image.  However, what's
more important, the test bench image or having a picture you may not have
otherwise.

I use the 2X with the 100 2.8 macro lots of times and if you don't tell
anyone you've done that, they marvel at your lens handling ability.  Even
wide open! :) Besides at 200mm it allows you a better reach for close-ups.

So if you can find a used 2X apo or non for a good price go for it...If you
don't like the results you can always sell it. :)

Now don't blame me again for making you spend more money on Leica gear. :)

ted