Subject: Re: [Leica] 2X Extender - (non APO)
From: Ted Grant <tedgrant@islandnet.com>
Date: Sat, 3 Jul 1999 17:28:17 -0700

Pascal wrote:

>Both Summiluxes do not figure on the list of Apo extender 2x or 1.4x
>compatible lenses in the Manual of the Leica System. So, this solution is
>not officially supported or encouraged by Leica.>>>>>

Hi Pascal,

That maybe the case in the manual but in practice the 2X works nicely with
both the 50 & 80!  It's the same as stacking the 1.4 & 2 on the 280 or any
other lens, Leica don't encourage it, in fact they'll tell you not to do it.

But then they are always talking about test bench results instead of real
time use and getting a picture or not getting it.

If for example you use a 280 Apo 2.8 with the 1,4 extender attached first,
then add the 2X it supposedly gives you a hand holdable 800mm  f.8.0 lens.

Done that lots of times and it works just fine with good results wide open
and certainly very good results stopped down one or two stps. Shot
Kodachrome 64 on more than one occaision in this manner with excellent
results.

And if you really want to blow people away with your images, put the macro
adapter on to that combination and have some real fun picture taking time.

Oh yes and be sure not to ask Leica if this is OK! :)  Just do it and be
pleasantly surprised.

ted

Ted Grant
http://www.islandnet.com/~tedgrant