Subject: Re: [Leica] 50mm Summicron-M vs Summilux-M
From: Mark Rabiner <mrabiner@concentric.net>
Date: Sat, 03 Jul 1999 12:37:33 -0700

The Adler Family wrote:

> I apologize if this question has been asked before, but I have not been able
> to find a succinct answer to this question even after a thorough search of
> the digest's history of Erwin's reviews. I am a recent purchaser of an M6TTL
> (0,85), 35mm ASPH Summicron-M and 90mm Elmarit-M. I am considering the
> purchase of either the 50mm Summicron or Summilux, and was wondering about
> the difference in their performance.
>
> My main reason for the purchase of the Summilux would be to have the low
> light capability when needed (if ever). I like to have as many options as
> possible.
> ><snip>
You should first delve into what it might mean to have one stop more
lowlight capability in a lens and how significant that might be. Having
said "(if ever)" my impression is that you have not really tried your
system much in dark hallways let alone dark alleys. I would do that
first and find out what a stop in practice means.
How about Delta 3200? How about a little flash? How about a tripod? All
three ways to avoid that pang of limitation of non high speed optics.
If you really are feeling speed restraights with your existing lenses
then I say go for the gusto with that 50, a great opportunity to do so
as you have a choice of either the 1.4 or 1. I've found high speed
optics for the Leica M something I can put off.
The act of buying cameras requires a whole different set of creative
energy that shooting with them. There are plenty of people who seem to
have little patience for the latter. Avoid that trap.
Buy a brick of film and shoot it. Then analyse your system after looking
at the contacts or slides for a hole that needs to be filled. You might
even shoot the whole brick with just the 35 and really get to know that
lens, a great low light lens from my direct experience.
Mark Rabiner
Happy shooting.