Subject: 100/4 Macro Elmar (Re: [Leica] Re: 90/2.0 R how good???)
From: "Roy Zartarian" <royzart@connix.com>
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 21:03:42 +0000

Despite a recollection of negative comments about the
performance of the 100/4 macro at non-macro distances, I decided to
take a chance on one when it and the appropriate extension tube
appeared at a most attractive price in the local photo supply
emporium & Saturday morning hangout.

The external glass needed a good scrubbing, and once that was done I
tested it against an 80-200/4 ROM racked out to the same focal length
with a subject about 12 feet away. To my eye, the transparencies from
the 100 from f/4 to f/8 appeared appeared only slightly softer than
the counterparts from the 80-200 and identical at apertures smaller
than f/8.  Color rendition appeared the same with both lenses. I
could not fault the close-focus results with the 100.

Admittedly, the test is by no means a scientific one, but it did tell
me that I did not get a lemon of a lens.

Roy