Subject: Re: [Leica] Re: Re: contax G2?
From: InfinityDT@aol.com
Date: Fri, 2 Jul 1999 08:58:47 EDT

In a message dated 7/1/99 9:08:25 PM Eastern Daylight Time, roger@beamon.org
writes:

<< Same here! The operative question is what would you buy and
 use IF you could only have one system? The reasons for one
 system be damned! Be it financial, weight/volume considerations
 or the appreciation for what will get the job done in the absence of
 the other, the answer, to me, is obvious. There is precious little
 that the G2 will do that the M6 won't, whereas the flip side is a no
 brainer.

 Bespectacled as I am, my short use of a friend's G2 was very
 uncomfortable. Its owner, likewise, quickly sold off the G2,
 returning to his Nikon system as his sole source of 35mm images. >>

Bespectacled as *I* am, I find the M's finder a real pain, too.  I really
don't see how it cold be *that* hard for Leica to make it HP.  The reason I
don't cotton to the Contax is because a non-SLR with no way to judge DOF
except by memory or consulting a notebook is of no use to me, there's no 135
lens, and no provision for a reflex mirror attachment (Viso) for occasional
macro or telephoto use on a long excursion which means having to take an SLR
as well.  I used a 353mm SLR as my sole source of  images for many years even
though I always had M equipment.   It wasn't until I started using
medium-format a lot that I rediscovered the Leica M for handheld shots which
were nearly as sharp as tripod shots with the 35 SLR using MLU.  Nowadays 80%
of my 35mm work is with the Leica and I only use the SLR when I want long,
fast telephoto, AF and/or computer flash and/or the 5-8fps motor drive, such
as with wildlife.  For static shots, if I'm going to use a tripod and MLU
anyway I just go straight to MF.
DT