Subject: [Leica] Re: Travel Security
From: wvl <wvl@marinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 17:29:27 -0700

I don't want to give the impression I am suggesting Costa Rica is an
unusual crime region. There are parts of San Francisco I won't walk
through even without a camera, much less a Leica. Personal security is a
very subjective call. Recently I traveled around the world in about 4
1/2 months. I bought an M6 and two lenses in Singapore. I was unwilling
to use them on the streets in India except for  a few small villages.
Likewise Nepal. I walked a good deal in rural Bali with SLR and Medium
Format gear over the shoulder, often alone in rural areas. No problems.
It felt comfortable. In Europe, I used the Leica on the streets in small
towns in Germany and France and in parks and the countryside. In Spain
and Portugal I kept it in a Pelican case chained to the hotel radiator.
Yet, I felt comfortable using it all over Paris. I just went with my
intuition at the time. I  had a MF camera, a Ricoh GR1, and a pair Minox
35s to use when the Leica was in hiding. My sense of security would
probably have been enhanced by one of those insurance policies
mentioned, but, I wouldn't want to try to get a police report drafted in
India.

I wonder, have any members of LUG been robbed while traveling?
Bill Lawlor