Subject: [Leica] Re: contax G2?
From: S London <srlondon@yahoo.com>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 15:48:54 -0700 (PDT)

While I own both a Contax G2 and a Leica M6, I was
using the M6 almost excusively over the G2 until quite
recently, when I brought a new puppy home.  While I
was able to do some nice B&W work with my M6 set for
hyperfocal work, I wanted to take some nice
portrait-type shots.  I used my G2+90mm sonnar,
varying between f/2.8 and f/4.  This let me have the
results I wanted while still having AF, which while
not needed for most subjects, is most certainly an
asset when attempting to take pictures of a pup with a
short attention span.  You can see some of these at:

http://members.home.net/srlondon

I am still in love with my M6, simply because it is so
mechanical and perfect.  It is just a great design
pared down to the bare essentials.  There is nothing
extra or unneccesary to be found on the camera.  The
G2 is a camera which I feel to be equally excellent at
what it was designed to be.  It has a top-notch line
of eminently affordable lenses, good AF, good
ergonomics, and is generally a nice modern update of
the rangefinder concept.

I cannot describe the G2 as either "better" or "worse"
than an M6, as I feel that they are fundimentally
different cameras with totally distinct design ethics.
 One will not replace the other, but they will happily
coexist in your camera bag, if given the chance and
the proper expectations and understandings of each
camera.

SL
http://members.home.net/srlondon