Subject: Re: [Leica] "FIAVI" bracket for centering Leica on tripod/panorama
From: Henry Ambrose <digphoto@nashville.net>
Date: Thu, 1 Jul 1999 09:38:11 -0600

>Many moons ago, Leitz made several versions of a bracket that
>centered the Leica on a graduated rotating pan head.
>
>It would then rotate on its center axis rather than the off-set
>tripod socket.  The bracket even had a provision for a spezial
>spirit level, for which I can understand the importance --------
>but for the life of me, I can't comprehend the importance of the
>rotation being off the center socket rather than the side one.
>
>Would some one please be so kind as to explain this to me??
>
>Mary (de Milo)

Here are my reasons for this bracket:

1. When winding the camera the tendency to twist on the tripod head is
controlled because the camera base is completely supported in the
longitudinal v-block. I would not have to crank down on the screw or
twist the camera on tightly before I could be sure it was secure against
movement during use.

2. When panning over to focus on (perhaps) someones eyes and then panning
back to the composition there will be no change in the film plane to
subject distance.

3. The bracket I imagine is to remain on the tripod head and the camera
can be quickly attached to it - with out any futzing around to determine
if the camera is aligned with the movements of the head. Unlike the many
excellent quick releases already on the market I'll have nothing left on
the camera - no extra bulk, nothing to make the camera sit "funny" when I
put it down. I think of it as the same as a Rolleifix (for those Rollei
users out there).  A cradle for the camera that improves the camera and
head interface. Very secure fixing to the tripod with minimal hassle.

Your mention of the level prompts me to include one on my bracket. That
would make it even better!

I doubt that any of this is very important or there probably would be
several on the market already.

Best,

Henry

"You'll pay to know what you think"