Subject: [Leica] Re: Photog visit to Chicago
From: Ron and BeeLian Miller <rkmiller001@earthlink.net>
Date: Tue, 29 Jun 1999 15:30:56 -0700

- --------------E4CBF718D54F979F49AC3A99

Hi Roger,

Its a pleasure to read your very detailed guide through the city of
Chicago that it is almost like reading a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide
- -type tour book. You can't get lost and you'll definitely arrive
prepared for the bustling city. The descriptions of so much to do and
see makes me revise my plans and want to spend more than a weekend
there.  As you well know, us photogs can take an interminable time
gathering all the pics we think we need that we may as well  leave our
spouses behind... unless you forget to bring your tripod and travelling
cash!

And yes, i do love architecture. My dad and brother are both architects.
So we will have to check out the Chicago Architectural Society tours!

We are very appreciative of the kindness and enthusiasm which the
Chicagoans (and ex-Chicagoans) have displayed in response to our pending
trip.  Thanks again!

cheers,
bee lian

> Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:51:01 -0500
> From: "Roger L. Bunting"
> Subject: Re: [Leica] Photog visit to Chicago
>
> BeeLain and Ron,
>
> Lisle is about 35 miles west of Chicago - I live in the next community =
to the west, Naperville. The communities out our way support a lot of com=
muter traffic to the "City"/Chicago. I enjoy going into the city and walk=
ing around. The section called the "loop" is very accessible and there is=
 no problem going on a photo shoot during the day. Lisle is just off I88 =
a tollway that hooks up with the Eisenhower Expressway (I290) into the ci=
ty. The Eisenhower becomes Congress expressway just after you cross the C=
hicago river, right after going under a building (the post office) that s=
pans the highway. The Congress takes you under the elevated train (the tr=
ain is what defines the loop). So you are there. If you continue straight=
 ahead, after going under the train, you hit Michigan avenue - big main d=
rag - and continuing ahead on Congress you have to go right or left (on B=
alboa) but the lake is straight ahead.

> If you hang a hard left after crossing Michigan avenue, you set your se=
lf up for access to one of the segments of Grant Park underground parking=
=2E You are near the loop, Art Institute, within walking distance of the =
train station, Grant Park and even the Lake Front and lots more. The unde=
rgound parking is a nominally per day fee and a bargain.

> Another thing you might try is the train. In Lisle there is a main trai=
n station - the Burlington line. The trains will take you to Union
> Station, which is a photographic experience in itself. Just outside is =
the Chicago river. The Sears Tower is just a couple of blocks away and yo=
u are 5 minutes waking from the loop and the "eleveated trains".

> Just outside the train station, you can catch a water taxi to "Michigan=
 Avenue at the River". The buildings along the river are spectacular  (IM=
HO). I've found that a 35mm lens works good on the river. In the building=
 canyons in the financial district like near the Chicago Board of Trade, =
a 24mm is better.

> After puttering around downtown (the loop) you might want to take a tax=
i to upper Michigan avenue (Gucci, Saks, Tiffany's, etc) - and the water =
tower of Chicago Fire fame. Another choice is Navy Pier that is built out=
 into Lake Michigan. This is a large historic pier and recently rennovate=
d to an amusement pier. It's a definite people place. The ferris wheel vi=
ew of the city is also wonderful, might want to do that at night with a f=
riend. From Navy Pier you can take water transportation back to the train=
 - to Lisle.

> You might consider an evening lake cruise. The night skyline is very at=
tractive. There is also good high altitude photo opps from the top of the=
 Sears Tower or the John Handcock building.

> Anyway, enjoy.... Summer in Chicago is many things but I've never found=
 them disappointing. Stick a big water bottle in your camera bag or back =
pack. The city is a bustling place and to the newcomer, where to grab tha=
t drink of water is not obvious.

> Regards,
> Roger
>
> There are great tours. Check ahead, the Chicago Architectural Society h=
as great tours if you are interested in the very diverse architectrue of =
Chicago.

- --------------E4CBF718D54F979F49AC3A99

Hi Roger,
Chicago that it is almost like reading a Lonely Planet or Rough Guide -type
tour book. You can't get lost and you'll definitely arrive prepared for
the bustling city. The descriptions of so much to do and see makes me revise
my plans and want to spend more than a weekend there.&nbsp; As you well
know, us photogs can take an interminable time gathering all the pics we
think we need that we may as well&nbsp; leave our spouses behind... unless
you forget to bring your tripod and travelling cash!
So we will have to check out the Chicago Architectural Society tours!
(and ex-Chicagoans) have displayed in response to our pending trip.&nbsp;
Thanks again!
<pre>Date: Sun, 27 Jun 1999 18:51:01 -0500
From: "Roger L. Bunting"&nbsp;<rlbunting@ameritech.net>
Subject: Re: [Leica] Photog visit to Chicago

[...]

If you hang a hard left after crossing Michigan avenue, you set your self up for access to one of the segments of Grant Park underground parking. You are near the loop, Art Institute, within walking distance of the train station, Grant Park and even the Lake Front and lots more. The undergound parking is a nominally per day fee and a bargain.&nbsp;

Another thing you might try is the train. In Lisle there is a main train station - the Burlington line. The trains will take you to Union
Station, which is a photographic experience in itself. Just outside is the Chicago river. The Sears Tower is just a couple of blocks away and you are 5 minutes waking from the loop and the "eleveated trains".

Just outside the train station, you can catch a water taxi to "Michigan Avenue at the River". The buildings along the river are spectacular&nbsp; (IMHO). I've found that a 35mm lens works good on the river. In the building canyons in the financial district like near the Chicago Board of Trade, a 24mm is better.

After puttering around downtown (the loop) you might want to take a taxi to upper Michigan avenue (Gucci, Saks, Tiffany's, etc) - and the water tower of Chicago Fire fame. Another choice is Navy Pier that is built out into Lake Michigan. This is a large historic pier and recently rennovated to an amusement pier. It's a definite people place. The ferris wheel view of the city is also wonderful, might want to do that at night with a friend. From Navy Pier you can take water transportation back to the train - to Lisle.

You might consider an evening lake cruise. The night skyline is very attractive. There is also good high altitude photo opps from the top of the Sears Tower or the John Handcock building.

Anyway, enjoy.... Summer in Chicago is many things but I've never found them disappointing. Stick a big water bottle in your camera bag or back pack. The city is a bustling place and to the newcomer, where to grab that drink of water is not obvious.&nbsp;

Regards,
Roger

There are great tours. Check ahead, the Chicago Architectural Society has great tours if you are interested in the very diverse architectrue of Chicago.</pre>

- --------------E4CBF718D54F979F49AC3A99--