Subject: Re: [Leica] Fluorescent filtration
From: Donal Philby <donalphilby@earthlink.net>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 09:14:57 -0800

Rob,
Try an FLD.  I recently shot job all in florescent and used the new E200
plus an FLD.  In most cases used a Rosco Plus Green filter on strobes,
both studio and little on camera types.  Worked fine.  Do bracket.  And
remember that meters tend to under read flor lighting.  Also bracket,
since over exposing slightly can help clean up whites and any residual
green.  I guess you could get really critical and test all kinds of
different filters, or use a color temp meter, but most places I've been
the bulbs are difference from place to place (somebody just goes to the
store and buys whatever type of bulb is available, not carry to match
what is there already).  Cokin makes a gel filter holder for their
P-system holder and it works just fine for the larger lenses, though I
don't imagine they have adapter rings to 39mm.  May have to use adapter
stepdowns.  Generally when I am working on flourescent conditions I feel
pretty fortunate to pull it off at all, given the low light levels,
boring overhead light angles.  A couple little Vivitar with plus green
can do wonders adding a bit of side light.

donal

Rob Schneider-Laura Tully wrote:

> Try though I will to avoid it, I may find myself in a situation soon
> where I will be shooting chromes under fluorescent lighting.  What are
> the popular recommendations for on-the-fly filtration.  I'm not going
> to have the time to carefully correct the lights; I just need to tone
> down the green.  Anyone have experience with the B+W FL-Day?  What
> about a CC40M?  (No one seems to have off-the-rack 39mm and 46mm
> CC30M's).

- --
Donal Philby
San Diego