Subject: Re: [Leica] M2 bayonet mount
From: "Dan Post" <dwpost@email.msn.com>
Date: Mon, 28 Jun 1999 10:23:43 -0400

4Season, et al.
I made a mixture consisting of about a teaspoon of Johnson's Paste Wax,
which I put in a 2oz (5g in 60ml) bottle filled with petroleum spirits-
Stoddard solvent, paint thinner, etc. I add a couple of BBs, and shake it
until well mixed.
I found that a bit of this on some old underwear ( Thanks, Ted!), wiped on a
mount, for example, and wiped off, leaves just enough wax to lube the
surface, and not be greasy at all. I felt that the wax was less likely to
'migrate' or sublimate and condense on the lenses, or optical surfaces. I
have used this for years, and even use it to polish and protect the leather
and vulcanite of my cameras. A 2oz bottle will last a LOOOOONG time- last
batch I mixed has lasted almost four years! I never had it get on an optic,
and I use it on all my Leicas- SL, M and LTM... It makes the threads turn
really smoothly, and doesn't bind!
Dan